Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Charmaig Keills Chapel & Keills Cross, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0032
PLACENAME
Keills
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: North Knapdale
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9396
KEYWORDS
St Charmaig Keills
Loch Na Cille
Tayvallich
Knapdale
Keills Cross
crosses
cross
St Charmaig Keills Chapel & Keills Cross, Knapdale

St. Charmaig Keills is a late 12th-century chapel overlooking Loch Na Cille in the south-west of the Tayvallich peninsula, Knapdale. Keills Cross, an 8th or 9th-century Christian cross in the Ionian style of sculpture, can be seen in the enclosure to the right of the picture. The photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson. Today, the chapel has been restored and the cross now stands within its walls.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Charmaig Keills Chapel & Keills Cross, Knapdale

ARGYLL: North Knapdale

20c

St Charmaig Keills; Loch Na Cille; Tayvallich; Knapdale; Keills Cross; crosses; cross

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

St. Charmaig Keills is a late 12th-century chapel overlooking Loch Na Cille in the south-west of the Tayvallich peninsula, Knapdale. Keills Cross, an 8th or 9th-century Christian cross in the Ionian style of sculpture, can be seen in the enclosure to the right of the picture. The photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson. Today, the chapel has been restored and the cross now stands within its walls. <br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.