Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kilchoman Cross, Islay
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0041
PLACENAME
Kilchoman
DISTRICT
Islay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilchoman
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9416
KEYWORDS
Kilchoman Cross
Islay
sculpture
Lords of the Isles
Ballinaby
Beaton
crosses
cross
Kilchoman Cross, Islay

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows the Kilchoman Cross which stands in the burial ground of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay. Dating from the 14th or 15th century, Kilchoman Cross is a fine example of West Highland medieval sculpture. An inscription on the cross shaft indicates it was erected by Thomas, son of Patrick, the doctor. It is likely that Thomas and his father belonged to the family of hereditary physicians to the Lords of the Isles who held the nearby lands at Ballinaby and who later adopted the name of Beaton.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kilchoman Cross, Islay

ARGYLL: Kilchoman

20c

Kilchoman Cross; Islay; sculpture; Lords of the Isles; Ballinaby; Beaton; crosses; cross

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows the Kilchoman Cross which stands in the burial ground of Kilchoman Parish Church, Islay. Dating from the 14th or 15th century, Kilchoman Cross is a fine example of West Highland medieval sculpture. An inscription on the cross shaft indicates it was erected by Thomas, son of Patrick, the doctor. It is likely that Thomas and his father belonged to the family of hereditary physicians to the Lords of the Isles who held the nearby lands at Ballinaby and who later adopted the name of Beaton.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.