Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kildalton Church & Cross, Islay
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0046
PLACENAME
Kildalton
DISTRICT
Islay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kildalton and Oa
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9429
KEYWORDS
Kildalton Cross
Islay
Christianity
crosses
wheel cross
sculpture
wheel crosses
cross
Kildalton Church & Cross, Islay

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows the roofless ruins of the medieval parish church of Kildalton, which dates to the late 12th or 13th century. The Kildalton Cross, which can be seen on the right of the picture, dates from the 8th century. It is the only complete, unbroken, early Christian wheel cross to survive in Scotland. Its fine quality and artistic similarities with Ionian crosses suggests Kildalton was an important Christian site with links to that major centre.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kildalton Church & Cross, Islay

ARGYLL: Kildalton and Oa

20c

Kildalton Cross; Islay; Christianity; crosses; wheel cross; sculpture; wheel crosses; cross

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows the roofless ruins of the medieval parish church of Kildalton, which dates to the late 12th or 13th century. The Kildalton Cross, which can be seen on the right of the picture, dates from the 8th century. It is the only complete, unbroken, early Christian wheel cross to survive in Scotland. Its fine quality and artistic similarities with Ionian crosses suggests Kildalton was an important Christian site with links to that major centre. <br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.