Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St John's Church Rectory, Ballachulish
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0060
PLACENAME
Ballachulish
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9463
KEYWORDS
St John's Church
Ballachulish
rectory
parsonage
Glencoe
churches
church
St John's Church Rectory, Ballachulish

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, may be the rectory of St John's Church, Ballachulish. The present church was built in 1842 and consecrated in 1844. A new parsonage was build during the incumbency of the Reverend D MacKenzie (1861-79) but was sold in 1976, when Ballachulish was linked to Glencoe.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St John's Church Rectory, Ballachulish

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

20c

St John's Church; Ballachulish; rectory; parsonage; Glencoe; churches; church

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, may be the rectory of St John's Church, Ballachulish. The present church was built in 1842 and consecrated in 1844. A new parsonage was build during the incumbency of the Reverend D MacKenzie (1861-79) but was sold in 1976, when Ballachulish was linked to Glencoe.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.