Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'The Well of the Dead', Culloden Battlefield
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0074
PLACENAME
Culloden Moor
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9498
KEYWORDS
'Well of the Dead'
Culloden
MacGillivray
Dunmaglass
Forbes of Culloden
'The Well of the Dead', Culloden Battlefield

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows 'The Well of the Dead', a hallowed spring at Culloden Battlefield, Inverness. After the battle on 16th April, 1746, the body of Alexander MacGillivray of Dunmaglass, commander of Clan Chattan regiment, was found, amongst others, at this spot by a local woman. The inscribed stone slab, commemorating the event, was erected by Duncan Forbes of Culloden around 1881.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'The Well of the Dead', Culloden Battlefield

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

20c

'Well of the Dead'; Culloden; MacGillivray; Dunmaglass; Forbes of Culloden

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows 'The Well of the Dead', a hallowed spring at Culloden Battlefield, Inverness. After the battle on 16th April, 1746, the body of Alexander MacGillivray of Dunmaglass, commander of Clan Chattan regiment, was found, amongst others, at this spot by a local woman. The inscribed stone slab, commemorating the event, was erected by Duncan Forbes of Culloden around 1881.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.