Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Culloden House
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0077
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9505
KEYWORDS
Culloden House
Inverness
Forbes of Culloden
Jacobites
Wolf of Badenoch
Jacobite
Culloden House

Culloden House, Inverness, was originally built for Arthur Forbes of Culloden in the late 18th century but is now a hotel. This photograph of the house dates from the first half of the 20th century.

A house on the Culloden estate near Inverness is first recorded around 1323. By the end of the 14th century it had passed into the hands of Alexander Stewart, the 'Wolf of Badenoch', younger son of Robert II. The estates passed through the Edmundson family, the Strachan family and the Chief of the clan MacIntosh before being bought by the Forbes family in 1576. The Forbes family were loyal Presbyterians and because of this the estate was plundered by Jacobites in 1688.

In 1746 the house was requisitioned by Bonnie Prince Charlie and used for his lodging and battle headquarters in the days before the battle of Culloden. After Culloden the house was destroyed in retribution by the Duke of Cumberland and his men.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Culloden House

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

20c

Culloden House; Inverness; Forbes of Culloden; Jacobites; Wolf of Badenoch; Jacobite

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Culloden House, Inverness, was originally built for Arthur Forbes of Culloden in the late 18th century but is now a hotel. This photograph of the house dates from the first half of the 20th century.<br /> <br /> A house on the Culloden estate near Inverness is first recorded around 1323. By the end of the 14th century it had passed into the hands of Alexander Stewart, the 'Wolf of Badenoch', younger son of Robert II. The estates passed through the Edmundson family, the Strachan family and the Chief of the clan MacIntosh before being bought by the Forbes family in 1576. The Forbes family were loyal Presbyterians and because of this the estate was plundered by Jacobites in 1688. <br /> <br /> In 1746 the house was requisitioned by Bonnie Prince Charlie and used for his lodging and battle headquarters in the days before the battle of Culloden. After Culloden the house was destroyed in retribution by the Duke of Cumberland and his men.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.