Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ardtornish Castle
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0159
PLACENAME
Ardtornish Castle
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Morvern
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9638
KEYWORDS
castles
strongholds
views
clans
Ardtornish Castle

Ardtornish Castle stands on a promontory sticking out into the Sound of Mull. It is described as a 'hall house' of probably two storeys, with the principle residence being on the upper floor. The castle was once a residence of the Lords of the Isles. It was part of a chain of eight castles, on both sides of the Sound of Mull, which made it possible to transmit a beacon signal from Mingary Castle (Ardnamurchan) to Dunollie Castle (near Oban) a distance of over 30 miles. Today the castle is in ruins after plans to restore it in the 19th century failed.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ardtornish Castle

ARGYLL: Morvern

20c

castles; strongholds; views; clans

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Ardtornish Castle stands on a promontory sticking out into the Sound of Mull. It is described as a 'hall house' of probably two storeys, with the principle residence being on the upper floor. The castle was once a residence of the Lords of the Isles. It was part of a chain of eight castles, on both sides of the Sound of Mull, which made it possible to transmit a beacon signal from Mingary Castle (Ardnamurchan) to Dunollie Castle (near Oban) a distance of over 30 miles. Today the castle is in ruins after plans to restore it in the 19th century failed.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.