Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kinlochaline Castle across the loch
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0167
PLACENAME
Lochaline
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Morvern
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9657
KEYWORDS
castles
lochs
clans
Kinlochaline Castle across the loch

Kinlochaline Castle stands at the head of Loch Aline overlooking the Sound of Mull. It was built in the 15th century as a square turreted tower. The walls were approximately 10ft thick and had the capacity for defence using boiling oil. It was owned by the Clan MacInnes but was burnt down during the campaigns of the 1st Marquis of Huntly in the 17th century.

The castle has recently been restored and is now a private residence.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kinlochaline Castle across the loch

ARGYLL: Morvern

20c

castles; lochs; clans

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Kinlochaline Castle stands at the head of Loch Aline overlooking the Sound of Mull. It was built in the 15th century as a square turreted tower. The walls were approximately 10ft thick and had the capacity for defence using boiling oil. It was owned by the Clan MacInnes but was burnt down during the campaigns of the 1st Marquis of Huntly in the 17th century.<br /> <br /> The castle has recently been restored and is now a private residence.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />