Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ruthven Barracks, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0205
PLACENAME
Ruthven Barracks
DISTRICT
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9732
KEYWORDS
armies
soldiers
Jacobites
roads
barracks
castles
Ruthven Barracks, Kingussie

The ruined remains of Ruthven Barracks sit on top of a mound about half a mile south east of Kingussie. The mound was previously the site of Ruthven Castle, once a stronghold of Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch.

The barracks were built by the government after the 1715 Jacobite Rising in an attempt to keep the Highland population under control. The buildings were completed in 1724 with an additional guard house and stable block completed a decade later. Three of General Wade's military roads also converge at the barracks. The barracks could house 120 troops and 28 horses. Jacobite troops seized the barracks, on their second attempt, in February 1746 and after the failure at Culloden about 3000 Jacobites met at Ruthven with the intention of fighting on. They were greeted by a message from Bonnie Prince Charlie telling them to save themselves, so they set fire to the barracks and dispersed. The buildings were never re-occupied and fell into ruin.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ruthven Barracks, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

20c

armies; soldiers; Jacobites; roads; barracks; castles

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The ruined remains of Ruthven Barracks sit on top of a mound about half a mile south east of Kingussie. The mound was previously the site of Ruthven Castle, once a stronghold of Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch.<br /> <br /> The barracks were built by the government after the 1715 Jacobite Rising in an attempt to keep the Highland population under control. The buildings were completed in 1724 with an additional guard house and stable block completed a decade later. Three of General Wade's military roads also converge at the barracks. The barracks could house 120 troops and 28 horses. Jacobite troops seized the barracks, on their second attempt, in February 1746 and after the failure at Culloden about 3000 Jacobites met at Ruthven with the intention of fighting on. They were greeted by a message from Bonnie Prince Charlie telling them to save themselves, so they set fire to the barracks and dispersed. The buildings were never re-occupied and fell into ruin.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.