Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cliffs on Colonsay
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0219
PLACENAME
Colonsay
DISTRICT
Jura and Colonsay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9767
KEYWORDS
islands
cliffs
coasts
Cliffs on Colonsay

The island of Colonsay lies to the south of Mull and to the west of Jura. At its southern end it is linked to the small island of Oronsay by a large expanse of sand which can be crossed at low tide. The fertile soil of Colonsay supports a variety of native plant life as well as a number of exotic plants and trees which were imported to Kiloran Gardens after Colonsay was acquired by Lord Strathcona in 1905. The island has previously been owned by the MacNeills, the Campbells, the MacDonalds and the MacPhees or MacDuffies. This photograph shows the dramatic cliffs which can be found along the west coast of the island. These cliffs are home to large colonies of seabirds.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cliffs on Colonsay

ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay

20c

islands; cliffs; coasts

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The island of Colonsay lies to the south of Mull and to the west of Jura. At its southern end it is linked to the small island of Oronsay by a large expanse of sand which can be crossed at low tide. The fertile soil of Colonsay supports a variety of native plant life as well as a number of exotic plants and trees which were imported to Kiloran Gardens after Colonsay was acquired by Lord Strathcona in 1905. The island has previously been owned by the MacNeills, the Campbells, the MacDonalds and the MacPhees or MacDuffies. This photograph shows the dramatic cliffs which can be found along the west coast of the island. These cliffs are home to large colonies of seabirds.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.