Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Colonsay
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0228
PLACENAME
Colonsay
DISTRICT
Jura and Colonsay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9788
KEYWORDS
islands
coasts
cliffs
clans
Colonsay

The island of Colonsay lies to the south of Mull and to the west of Jura. At its southern end it is linked to the small island of Oronsay by a large expanse of sand which can be crossed at low tide. The fertile soil of Colonsay supports a variety of native plant life as well as a number of exotic plants and trees which were imported to Kiloran Gardens after Colonsay was acquired by Lord Strathcona in 1905. The island has previously been owned by the MacNeills, the Campbells, the MacDonalds and the MacPhees or MacDuffies. Colonsay currently has a population of around 100 people and the dramatic cliffs along its west coast are home to large colonies of seabirds.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively round the north and west Highlands writing and taking photographs. She died in 1958. This photograph is part of her collection


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Colonsay

ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay

20c

islands; coasts; cliffs; clans

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The island of Colonsay lies to the south of Mull and to the west of Jura. At its southern end it is linked to the small island of Oronsay by a large expanse of sand which can be crossed at low tide. The fertile soil of Colonsay supports a variety of native plant life as well as a number of exotic plants and trees which were imported to Kiloran Gardens after Colonsay was acquired by Lord Strathcona in 1905. The island has previously been owned by the MacNeills, the Campbells, the MacDonalds and the MacPhees or MacDuffies. Colonsay currently has a population of around 100 people and the dramatic cliffs along its west coast are home to large colonies of seabirds.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively round the north and west Highlands writing and taking photographs. She died in 1958. This photograph is part of her collection <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.