Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Finlaggan, Islay
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0232
PLACENAME
Finlaggan
DISTRICT
Islay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Killarrow and Kilmeny
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9796
KEYWORDS
lochs
islands
Lordship of the Isles
government
Finlaggan, Islay

Finlaggan is found in the north end of Islay about three miles south west of Port Askaig. There are three small islets in Loch Finlaggan. The largest of these, Eilean Mòr, has the remains of a castle and settlement of the Lords of the Isles. Eilean Mòr is linked to another of the islets, Eilean na Comhairle (Council Island), by a stone causeway. The council of the Lords of the Isles met on Eilean na Comhairle to decide on land charters and legal judgements and to keep the peace. The domain of the Lords of the Isles included the islands and parts of the west coast mainland of Scotland from Kintyre to Lewis. Finlaggan was the centre of the lordship from the 12th century to the 16th century.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Finlaggan, Islay

ARGYLL: Killarrow and Kilmeny

20c

lochs; islands; Lordship of the Isles; government

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Finlaggan is found in the north end of Islay about three miles south west of Port Askaig. There are three small islets in Loch Finlaggan. The largest of these, Eilean Mòr, has the remains of a castle and settlement of the Lords of the Isles. Eilean Mòr is linked to another of the islets, Eilean na Comhairle (Council Island), by a stone causeway. The council of the Lords of the Isles met on Eilean na Comhairle to decide on land charters and legal judgements and to keep the peace. The domain of the Lords of the Isles included the islands and parts of the west coast mainland of Scotland from Kintyre to Lewis. Finlaggan was the centre of the lordship from the 12th century to the 16th century.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.