Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunyvaig Castle, Islay
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0239
PLACENAME
Lagavulin
DISTRICT
Islay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kildalton and Oa
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9811
KEYWORDS
castles
ruins
clans
Dunyvaig Castle, Islay

Dunyvaig Castle lies in ruins on the south coast of Islay overlooking Lagavulin Bay. There are the remains of a 13th century courtyard and a 15th century keep but most of the ruins date from the 16th century. The castle was once a stronghold and naval base of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles. It was forfeited to the Crown in 1493 and passed into the hands of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan. The castle was then leased to the MacDonalds, passed to the Campbells and leased back to the MacDonalds. A Covenanting army led by David Leslie seized the castle after a siege and then the Campbells of Cawdor occupied Dunyvaig Castle until 1677 when Sir Hugh Campbell demolished it before the family moved to the comfort of Islay House.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunyvaig Castle, Islay

ARGYLL: Kildalton and Oa

20c

castles; ruins; clans

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Dunyvaig Castle lies in ruins on the south coast of Islay overlooking Lagavulin Bay. There are the remains of a 13th century courtyard and a 15th century keep but most of the ruins date from the 16th century. The castle was once a stronghold and naval base of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles. It was forfeited to the Crown in 1493 and passed into the hands of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan. The castle was then leased to the MacDonalds, passed to the Campbells and leased back to the MacDonalds. A Covenanting army led by David Leslie seized the castle after a siege and then the Campbells of Cawdor occupied Dunyvaig Castle until 1677 when Sir Hugh Campbell demolished it before the family moved to the comfort of Islay House.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.