Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dun Troddan Broch from the back
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0249
PLACENAME
Dun Troddan
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9837
KEYWORDS
brochs
archaeology
walls
Dun Troddan Broch from the back

Dun Troddan Broch is one of three brochs found in Gleann Beag, south of Glenelg. Although mostly in ruins, the walls of Dun Troddan still stand up to 25ft for about a third of its circumference. The walls are a double shell with a 3ft gap between them. Large slabs would have formed the floors of upper galleries and access to the upper floors would have been from stairways within the walls. Much of the missing stone from Dun Troddan is believed to have been removed during the building of the nearby Bernera Barracks in 1722.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dun Troddan Broch from the back

INVERNESS: Glenelg

20c

brochs; archaeology; walls

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Dun Troddan Broch is one of three brochs found in Gleann Beag, south of Glenelg. Although mostly in ruins, the walls of Dun Troddan still stand up to 25ft for about a third of its circumference. The walls are a double shell with a 3ft gap between them. Large slabs would have formed the floors of upper galleries and access to the upper floors would have been from stairways within the walls. Much of the missing stone from Dun Troddan is believed to have been removed during the building of the nearby Bernera Barracks in 1722.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />