Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Wall of Dun Telve Broch
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0251
PLACENAME
Dun Telve
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
9839
KEYWORDS
brochs
archaeology
walls
Wall of Dun Telve Broch

Dun Telve Broch is one of three brochs found in Gleann Beag, south of Glenelg. The remains of the broch are semi circular and in some places the walls still stand over 30ft. Like nearby Dun Troddan, the walls of Dun Telve were of a double shell construction with stairways within the walls giving access to upper galleries. Much of the missing stone is believed to have been removed during the building of the nearby Bernera Barracks in 1722. Despite this Dun Telve is still one of the best preserved brochs on the Scottish mainland.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Wall of Dun Telve Broch

INVERNESS: Glenelg

20c

brochs; archaeology; walls

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Dun Telve Broch is one of three brochs found in Gleann Beag, south of Glenelg. The remains of the broch are semi circular and in some places the walls still stand over 30ft. Like nearby Dun Troddan, the walls of Dun Telve were of a double shell construction with stairways within the walls giving access to upper galleries. Much of the missing stone is believed to have been removed during the building of the nearby Bernera Barracks in 1722. Despite this Dun Telve is still one of the best preserved brochs on the Scottish mainland.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.