Ùrachadh mu Dheireadh 22/05/2017
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TIOTAL
Creag-an-Fhithich, Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain & an Eilein Sgitheanaich
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_SINCLAIR_JOHNTHOMAS_03
SIORRACHD/PARRAIST
ROS
LINN
1980an; 1990an
CRUTHADAIR
John Thomas
NEACH-FIOSRACHAIDH
Taigh-tasgaidh is Gaileiridh Ealan Inbhir Nis
AITHNEACHADH MAOINE
2063
KEYWORDS
Rathad-iarainn na Gàidhealtachd
rèile
còmhdhail
tubaistean
claistinneach

Get Adobe Flash player

Chaidh Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain agus an Eilein Sgitheanaich fhosgladh ann an 1870 ach cha deach e na b' fhaide na Port an t-Sròim air Loch Carrann. Bhiodh seachd bliadhna fichead eile ann mus ruigeadh e stad-crìche Chaol Loch Aillse. San earrainn seo, cluinnear Iain Tòmas (1914-1982), fear dhe na eachdraichean b' ainmeile ann am Breatainn, a' beachdachadh air na leathadan casa ris an coinnichear air slighe an rathaid-iarainn. Chaidh a chlàradh air bòrd trèana shònraichte air turas gu Caol Loch Aillse ann an 1973.


The is Ravens' Rock summit, 438 feet above sea level. You will notice how dramatically the scenery has changed since our last stop, only four and a quarter miles away. The railway never need have climbed here at all, had it been granted a passage through Strathpeffer. Our locomotive has consumed diesel fuel needlessly. For nearly a hundred years, steam locomotives burned thousands of tons of coal they need never have burned. And that four and a quarter mile climb, mostly on a gradient of 1 in 50, that we have just left behind us, gave many an engine driver a headache. Strathpeffer was the loser in the end. It admitted the railway by means of the branch from Fodderty in 1884 but if its inhabitants had been more enlightened twenty years earlier, the village would have been on the main line and not on a branch. Moreover, it would still have had a railway connection. The disused station which we passed on the way up the gradient was Aucterneed, originally called Strathpeffer. On 25th September, 1897, a train consisting of several goods wagons with four passenger carriages coupled on behind them, had almost reached the spot where we are now when a coupling broke and six wagons, and the four passenger carriages, with passengers in them, ran backwards down the gradient, up which we have just come. The brakes proved useless and the runaway train roared down the slope, swaying round the curves, on any which it might well have been derailed. It ran out of control for six miles, eventually stopping after crashing through a pair of level crossing gates within site of Dingwall Station.

Airson stiùireadh mu bhith a’ cleachdadh ìomhaighean agus susbaint eile, faicibh duilleag ‘Na Cumhaichean air Fad.’
’S e companaidh cuibhrichte fo bharantas clàraichte ann an Alba Àir. SC407011 agus carthannas clàraichte Albannach Àir. SC042593 a th’ ann an High Life na Gàidhealtachd.
Powered by Capture

Creag-an-Fhithich, Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain & an Eilein Sgitheanaich

ROS

1980an; 1990an

Rathad-iarainn na Gàidhealtachd; rèile; còmhdhail; tubaistean; claistinneach

Taigh-tasgaidh is Gaileiridh Ealan Inbhir Nis

Bill Sinclair Audio: Dingwall & Skye Railway

Chaidh Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain agus an Eilein Sgitheanaich fhosgladh ann an 1870 ach cha deach e na b' fhaide na Port an t-Sròim air Loch Carrann. Bhiodh seachd bliadhna fichead eile ann mus ruigeadh e stad-crìche Chaol Loch Aillse. San earrainn seo, cluinnear Iain Tòmas (1914-1982), fear dhe na eachdraichean b' ainmeile ann am Breatainn, a' beachdachadh air na leathadan casa ris an coinnichear air slighe an rathaid-iarainn. Chaidh a chlàradh air bòrd trèana shònraichte air turas gu Caol Loch Aillse ann an 1973.<br /> <br /> <br /> The is Ravens' Rock summit, 438 feet above sea level. You will notice how dramatically the scenery has changed since our last stop, only four and a quarter miles away. The railway never need have climbed here at all, had it been granted a passage through Strathpeffer. Our locomotive has consumed diesel fuel needlessly. For nearly a hundred years, steam locomotives burned thousands of tons of coal they need never have burned. And that four and a quarter mile climb, mostly on a gradient of 1 in 50, that we have just left behind us, gave many an engine driver a headache. Strathpeffer was the loser in the end. It admitted the railway by means of the branch from Fodderty in 1884 but if its inhabitants had been more enlightened twenty years earlier, the village would have been on the main line and not on a branch. Moreover, it would still have had a railway connection. The disused station which we passed on the way up the gradient was Aucterneed, originally called Strathpeffer. On 25th September, 1897, a train consisting of several goods wagons with four passenger carriages coupled on behind them, had almost reached the spot where we are now when a coupling broke and six wagons, and the four passenger carriages, with passengers in them, ran backwards down the gradient, up which we have just come. The brakes proved useless and the runaway train roared down the slope, swaying round the curves, on any which it might well have been derailed. It ran out of control for six miles, eventually stopping after crashing through a pair of level crossing gates within site of Dingwall Station.