Ùrachadh mu Dheireadh 21/09/2017
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TIOTAL
Port an t-Sròim, Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain & an Eilein Sgitheanaich
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_SINCLAIR_JOHNTHOMAS_10
SIORRACHD/PARRAIST
ROS
LINN
1980an; 1990an
CRUTHADAIR
John Thomas
NEACH-FIOSRACHAIDH
Taigh-tasgaidh is Gaileiridh Ealan Inbhir Nis
AITHNEACHADH MAOINE
2072
KEYWORDS
Rathad-iarainn na Gàidhealtachd
rèile
còmhdhail
claistinneach

Get Adobe Flash player

Chaidh Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain agus an Eilein Sgitheanaich fhosgladh ann an 1870 ach cha deach e na b' fhaide na Port an t-Sròim air Loch Carrann. Bhiodh seachd bliadhna fichead eile ann mus ruigeadh e stad-crìche Chaol Loch Aillse. San earrainn seo, cluinnear Iain Tòmas (1914-1982), fear dhe na eachdraichean b' ainmeile ann am Breatainn, a' beachdachadh air leudachadh na loidhne gu ruige Caol Loch Aillse (eadar Inbhir Pheofharan is an t-Eilean Sgitheanach) agus Mallaig (eadar Thaobh Siar na Gàidhealtachd). Chaidh a chlàradh air bòrd trèana shònraichte air turas gu Caol Loch Aillse ann an 1973.

This is Strome. This was the point where the railway stuck for twenty-seven years and it was decided that it would be quite impossible to build a line from here to Kyle on expense account alone. An extremely difficult stretch lay ahead and it meant that a ledge for the railway quite literally had to be cut out of the mountain side, and indeed we'll pass along that ledge for the next ten miles. However, in the early '90s, [1890s] the Westminster government began to have a troubled conscience over the plight of the people of the West Highlands and Islands and they considered that the only way to improve the lot of the people was to improve communications. So a government commission investigated the possibility of building further railway lines in this area. The outcome of the investigation was that two lines were authorised and both of these lines had to be given a government subsidy. One was the Mallaig extension of the West Highland Railway, from Fort William to Mallaig, and the other was the extension of this line, from Strome Ferry to Kyle of Lochalsh. The papers covering the extension from Strome to Kyle specified that there'd be a large pier at Kyle and also a large pier capable of taking steam ferries at Kyleakin. The government undertook to subsidise the railway to the extent of £45,000, which was a big subsidy in those days. Construction was started in 1893 and the line was opened in November, 1897. So at last the dream of the Highland gentlemen in the Caledonian Hotel, Inverness, in 1864, came true. The line reached Kyle

Airson stiùireadh mu bhith a’ cleachdadh ìomhaighean agus susbaint eile, faicibh duilleag ‘Na Cumhaichean air Fad.’
’S e companaidh cuibhrichte fo bharantas clàraichte ann an Alba Àir. SC407011 agus carthannas clàraichte Albannach Àir. SC042593 a th’ ann an High Life na Gàidhealtachd.
Powered by Capture

Port an t-Sròim, Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain & an Eilein Sgitheanaich

ROS

1980an; 1990an

Rathad-iarainn na Gàidhealtachd; rèile; còmhdhail; claistinneach

Taigh-tasgaidh is Gaileiridh Ealan Inbhir Nis

Bill Sinclair Audio: Dingwall & Skye Railway

Chaidh Rathad-iarainn Inbhir Pheofharain agus an Eilein Sgitheanaich fhosgladh ann an 1870 ach cha deach e na b' fhaide na Port an t-Sròim air Loch Carrann. Bhiodh seachd bliadhna fichead eile ann mus ruigeadh e stad-crìche Chaol Loch Aillse. San earrainn seo, cluinnear Iain Tòmas (1914-1982), fear dhe na eachdraichean b' ainmeile ann am Breatainn, a' beachdachadh air leudachadh na loidhne gu ruige Caol Loch Aillse (eadar Inbhir Pheofharan is an t-Eilean Sgitheanach) agus Mallaig (eadar Thaobh Siar na Gàidhealtachd). Chaidh a chlàradh air bòrd trèana shònraichte air turas gu Caol Loch Aillse ann an 1973.<br /> <br /> This is Strome. This was the point where the railway stuck for twenty-seven years and it was decided that it would be quite impossible to build a line from here to Kyle on expense account alone. An extremely difficult stretch lay ahead and it meant that a ledge for the railway quite literally had to be cut out of the mountain side, and indeed we'll pass along that ledge for the next ten miles. However, in the early '90s, [1890s] the Westminster government began to have a troubled conscience over the plight of the people of the West Highlands and Islands and they considered that the only way to improve the lot of the people was to improve communications. So a government commission investigated the possibility of building further railway lines in this area. The outcome of the investigation was that two lines were authorised and both of these lines had to be given a government subsidy. One was the Mallaig extension of the West Highland Railway, from Fort William to Mallaig, and the other was the extension of this line, from Strome Ferry to Kyle of Lochalsh. The papers covering the extension from Strome to Kyle specified that there'd be a large pier at Kyle and also a large pier capable of taking steam ferries at Kyleakin. The government undertook to subsidise the railway to the extent of £45,000, which was a big subsidy in those days. Construction was started in 1893 and the line was opened in November, 1897. So at last the dream of the Highland gentlemen in the Caledonian Hotel, Inverness, in 1864, came true. The line reached Kyle