Ùrachadh mu Dheireadh 21/09/2017
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TIOTAL
Seann drochaid, Inbhir Nis
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_SINCLAIR_REVHENDERSON_02
ÀITE
Inbhir Nis
SIORRACHD/PARRAIST
INBHIR NIS: Inbhir Nis 's Am Bànath
LINN
1980an
CRUTHADAIR
Reverend Derek Henderson
NEACH-FIOSRACHAIDH
Taigh-tasgaidh is Gaileiridh Ealan Inbhir Nis
AITHNEACHADH MAOINE
2174
KEYWORDS
dealbhan gan sealltainn, neach-togail-dhealbh
luchd-togail-dhealbh
claistinneach

Get Adobe Flash player

B' e òraidiche à Inbhir Nis a bh' ann an Eòsaph Cook agus bha daoine air leth measail air. Bhiodh e a' cruinneachadh dhealbhan air iomadh cuspair gus òraidean a thoirt beò. Anns an earrainn labhairt seo, a chaidh a thogail an uair a bha e a' sealltainn dhealbhan ann an òraid, tha An t-Urr. Ruaraidh MacEanraig a' bruidhinn mu aon te dhe na dealbhan aige.

'This is a print of course, not photograph, of the old Inverness stone bridge; it was built a long time ago; it was built in 1685. It was built by public subscription. It didn't cost very much; it cost one thousand, three hundred pounds. Much of that was given as a donation by Macleod of Macleod. The bridge was demolished in 1849, when there was a great flood caused, very largely, by the fact that the canal burst its banks and added to the torrent. Now, in between the second and third arches, there was a prison; it measured twelve feet by nine feet by six feet, and the only way into it was through a grating from the pathway. And then there was a rope with a pitcher which the prisoner used to bring water up for himself. Now it was a pretty dreadful place and the record has it that a man died from rat bites in that particular place. Further towards the end of the bridge there were two coats of arms; one was the town coat of arms and the other one, in lieu of his generosity, was Macleod of Macleod's. When the bridge collapsed, I may say with no casualties fortunately, the coats of arms fell into the river and the only one that was recovered - the other one was possibly smashed - was the town coat of arms. And if you're walking down Castle Wynd tonight, on the gable end of the town hall you'll see the coat of arms that fell off this bridge in 1849; it's now bedded in the gable end of the town hall'

Airson stiùireadh mu bhith a’ cleachdadh ìomhaighean agus susbaint eile, faicibh duilleag ‘Na Cumhaichean air Fad.’
’S e companaidh cuibhrichte fo bharantas clàraichte ann an Alba Àir. SC407011 agus carthannas clàraichte Albannach Àir. SC042593 a th’ ann an High Life na Gàidhealtachd.
Powered by Capture

Seann drochaid, Inbhir Nis

INBHIR NIS: Inbhir Nis 's Am Bànath

1980an

dealbhan gan sealltainn, neach-togail-dhealbh; luchd-togail-dhealbh; claistinneach

Taigh-tasgaidh is Gaileiridh Ealan Inbhir Nis

Bill Sinclair Audio: Rev. Henderson on Joseph Cook

B' e òraidiche à Inbhir Nis a bh' ann an Eòsaph Cook agus bha daoine air leth measail air. Bhiodh e a' cruinneachadh dhealbhan air iomadh cuspair gus òraidean a thoirt beò. Anns an earrainn labhairt seo, a chaidh a thogail an uair a bha e a' sealltainn dhealbhan ann an òraid, tha An t-Urr. Ruaraidh MacEanraig a' bruidhinn mu aon te dhe na dealbhan aige.<br /> <br /> 'This is a print of course, not photograph, of the old Inverness stone bridge; it was built a long time ago; it was built in 1685. It was built by public subscription. It didn't cost very much; it cost one thousand, three hundred pounds. Much of that was given as a donation by Macleod of Macleod. The bridge was demolished in 1849, when there was a great flood caused, very largely, by the fact that the canal burst its banks and added to the torrent. Now, in between the second and third arches, there was a prison; it measured twelve feet by nine feet by six feet, and the only way into it was through a grating from the pathway. And then there was a rope with a pitcher which the prisoner used to bring water up for himself. Now it was a pretty dreadful place and the record has it that a man died from rat bites in that particular place. Further towards the end of the bridge there were two coats of arms; one was the town coat of arms and the other one, in lieu of his generosity, was Macleod of Macleod's. When the bridge collapsed, I may say with no casualties fortunately, the coats of arms fell into the river and the only one that was recovered - the other one was possibly smashed - was the town coat of arms. And if you're walking down Castle Wynd tonight, on the gable end of the town hall you'll see the coat of arms that fell off this bridge in 1849; it's now bedded in the gable end of the town hall'