Ùrachadh mu Dheireadh 21/03/2017
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TIOTAL
Dealbh-camara air Cur na Cloiche Bunait
EXTERNAL ID
AB_WICK_ART_34
ÀITE
Inbhir Ùige
SGÌRE
Gallaibh an Ear
SIORRACHD/PARRAIST
GALLAIBH: Inbhir Ùige
DEIT
1897
LINN
1890an
CRUTHADAIR
unknown
NEACH-FIOSRACHAIDH
Am Baile
AITHNEACHADH MAOINE
560
KEYWORDS
leabharlainn
togalaichean poblach
Photograph of the Laying of the Foundation Stone

Chithear anns an dealbh-chamara seo Cur Clach Bhunait de Leabharlann Charnegie ann am Parraist Inbhir Ùige air 27 Màrt 1897.

Pìos a thogadh bhon John o' Groat Journal:- "On the afternoon of Saturday last the ceremony of laying of the foundation stone of the Carnegie Public Parish Library, Wick, was performed by Mr Hew Morrison, F.E.I.S., F.S.A. Scot, chief librarian of the Public Library, Edinburgh.

The total cost of the buildings when complete is estimated at £4500, not inclusive of the site, which was valuated at £500, and which Mr Usher, the proprietor of Pulteneytown, has given free. As is well known the building has been made possible by the munificence of Mr Andrew Carnegie, of Pittsburgh, a free burgess of the Royal Burgh of Wick, and whose name is more prominently associated with the free library movement both in this country and America than that of any other man.

The ceremony took place at 4 o'clock p.m. Apart from a slight shower which fell towards the conclusion of the proceedings the weather was favourable.

The Rev. Mr. Renny having offered up the prayer, Mr John Robertson, chairman of the Library Committee, introduced Mr Morrison, and in doing so presented him with a silver trowel bearing an inscription as follows: - Presented to Hew Morrison, Esq., chief librarian, Edinburgh Public Library, on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of Wick Parish Carnegie Public Library. March 27, 1897.

A glass bottle with the usual kind of documents and coins was then placed in the cavity, which had been prepared for it in stone, by Mr Reid, of Messrs Tait & Reid, builders, who also spread the mortar in preparation for the stone. Mr Morrison then used his silver trowel the stone having been lowered, he declared that it was well and truly laid"

Airson stiùireadh mu bhith a’ cleachdadh ìomhaighean agus susbaint eile, faicibh duilleag ‘Na Cumhaichean air Fad.’
’S e companaidh cuibhrichte fo bharantas clàraichte ann an Alba Àir. SC407011 agus carthannas clàraichte Albannach Àir. SC042593 a th’ ann an High Life na Gàidhealtachd.
Powered by Capture

Dealbh-camara air Cur na Cloiche Bunait

GALLAIBH: Inbhir Ùige

1890an

leabharlainn; togalaichean poblach

Am Baile

Wick Public Building Art

Chithear anns an dealbh-chamara seo Cur Clach Bhunait de Leabharlann Charnegie ann am Parraist Inbhir Ùige air 27 Màrt 1897.<br /> <br /> Pìos a thogadh bhon John o' Groat Journal:- "On the afternoon of Saturday last the ceremony of laying of the foundation stone of the Carnegie Public Parish Library, Wick, was performed by Mr Hew Morrison, F.E.I.S., F.S.A. Scot, chief librarian of the Public Library, Edinburgh.<br /> <br /> The total cost of the buildings when complete is estimated at £4500, not inclusive of the site, which was valuated at £500, and which Mr Usher, the proprietor of Pulteneytown, has given free. As is well known the building has been made possible by the munificence of Mr Andrew Carnegie, of Pittsburgh, a free burgess of the Royal Burgh of Wick, and whose name is more prominently associated with the free library movement both in this country and America than that of any other man.<br /> <br /> The ceremony took place at 4 o'clock p.m. Apart from a slight shower which fell towards the conclusion of the proceedings the weather was favourable. <br /> <br /> The Rev. Mr. Renny having offered up the prayer, Mr John Robertson, chairman of the Library Committee, introduced Mr Morrison, and in doing so presented him with a silver trowel bearing an inscription as follows: - Presented to Hew Morrison, Esq., chief librarian, Edinburgh Public Library, on the occasion of his laying the foundation stone of Wick Parish Carnegie Public Library. March 27, 1897.<br /> <br /> A glass bottle with the usual kind of documents and coins was then placed in the cavity, which had been prepared for it in stone, by Mr Reid, of Messrs Tait & Reid, builders, who also spread the mortar in preparation for the stone. Mr Morrison then used his silver trowel the stone having been lowered, he declared that it was well and truly laid"