Seventh page of souvenir programme of Wick Herring Queen Crowning Ceremony and Carnival Procession, 23 July 1938.
This page contains four adverts for local businesses.
The first advert is for W&A Geddes Ltd. Grain, seed and manure merchants, High Street, Wick.
This compnay is still in business but have moved from High Street to River Street , Wick
The second advert is for Clyne's Furniture, High Street, Wick.
This business was owned by Grover Clyne. The business moved in the 1970s to Murray Street.
The third advert is for Matheson Brothers, Grocer, High Street, Wick.
This business was owned by Bill Henderson until he retired and sold the business in the early 1970s.
The fourth advert is for Miss C. Tait, Ladies Hairdressing, Breadalbane Terrace, Wick
This business was owned by Cissy Tait who eventually married the skipper of local boat. The business was eventually sold to Cathy Dunnet.
The Herring Queen procession and pageantry was started in 1937 by a sub-committee of the Wick Riverside and Town Improvements. It seems to have come from the Coronation of King George VI which occurred earlier in the same year. The Herring Queen herself had to have at least one parent connected with the herring industry. She was elected Queen on the day of her crowning, which took place at the Braehead. She was taken to sea on a drifter and then escorted by as many of the fleet as wished to join them. Carrying passengers, the flotilla went as far as the mouth of Wick Bay where they turned to present a very impressive spectacle as they steamed, in convoy, back to the harbour. The last Herring Queen was elected in 1953 the same year as the herring fishing ceased in the traditional way. The celebration continues to this day under the title of the Gala Queen.
We are grateful to Miss Anne Dunnett, Lord Lieutenant of Caithness, for her help with this information.
You can read this book in our Digital Library
If you would like to view the original item please see the library's website for opening hours. Wick Library