Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Thurso Castle

Thurso Castle

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Thurso
PERIOD: 2000s
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: CAITHNESS:Thurso
CONTRIBUTOR: Am Baile
COLLECTION NAME: Jamie Gaukroger
CREATOR: Jamie Gaukroger
IMAGE CREATED: 8 October 2009
location map

The original castle c.1660 was largely replaced by the castellated mansion that still dominates the skyline as a ruin. A large part of the castle was becoming dangerous due to poor construction of the later parts and much of it was demolished to make it safe in 1952.

Situated on the Pentland Firth in the sheltered Thurso Bay, Thurso is the most northerly town on the Scottish mainland. Thurso is a long established town with origins dating back to Viking times when it was an important Norse settlement and the major gateway to mainland Scotland.


This photograph is featured in Then and Now



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_CARD_1638_JG


Some other items in this collection...



The Royal Hotel, Thurso

The Royal Hotel, Thurso

Arisaig House

Arisaig House

Old Turnpike, Shore Street, Thurso

Old Turnpike, Shore Street, Thurso

Thurso, Caithness looking from the Bridge towards the Sir John's Square

Thurso, Caithness looking from the Bridge towards the Sir John's Square





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village