Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness

Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Inverness
PERIOD: 1890s; 1900s
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS:Inverness and Bona
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
COLLECTION NAME: Joseph Cook
location map

Photograph of a drawing of Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness, by Pierre Delavault (1859-1907). Built in 1593, this is one of the oldest houses in Inverness. It is a fine example of domestic architecture of the 16th and 17th centuries and is the only house in the burgh containing a turnpike staircase.

Originally the town house of Colonel Archibald Fraser of Beaufort and Abertarff, (son of Lord Lovat of the '45 rebellion), it remained Fraser property until the mid-nineteenth century when it was acquired by the National Commercial Bank of Scotland who remained the owner for about 100 years. It was fully restored by the National Trust for Scotland in 1966 and was their regional headquarters until their recent move to Balnain House in Huntly Street



IDENTIFIER: GB1796_1999_116_061

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photograph collector - Joseph Cook



Some other items in this collection...



Tomnahurich Bridge over the Caledonian Canal, Inverness

Tomnahurich Bridge over the Caledonian Canal, Inverness

The Well of the Seven Heads, south of Invergarry

The Well of the Seven Heads, south of Invergarry

Painting of Old Toll House, Stoneyfield

Painting of Old Toll House, Stoneyfield

Two men going fishing

Two men going fishing





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village