Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Catherine Morrison, Portnalong, weaving, 1933

Catherine Morrison, Portnalong, weaving, 1933

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Portnalong
PERIOD: 1930s
DISTRICT: Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS:Bracadale
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Postcards
IMAGE CREATED: 1933
location map

This postcard shows Harris tweed being woven at Portnalong on the Isle of Skye. Portnalong is situated by the shores of Loch Harport. During the 1920s, the Department of Agriculture resettled families here from the overcrowded islands of Lewis, Harris and Scalpay. Corrugated iron huts were built on the island to offer shelter for the families, until they were able to build their own houses. Some of the huts are still in existence today.

Every family was given between 15 and 20 acres of land, three cows and a share in several thousand acres of sheep grazings. Families were expected to support themselves through crofting, fishing and weaving. Every year until 1939, a gathering was held at Portnalong where woven goods would be sold. After World War II, weaving tweed once again became popular and many of the goods were exported to America



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_CARD_0136


Some other items in this collection...



Mackay's Hotel, Strathpeffer Spa

Mackay's Hotel, Strathpeffer Spa

Plockton Lighthouse and Loch Carron

Plockton Lighthouse and Loch Carron

Loch Carron

Loch Carron

Pass of Inverfarigag, Loch Ness

Pass of Inverfarigag, Loch Ness





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village