Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

'The Well of the Dead', Culloden Battlefield

'The Well of the Dead', Culloden Battlefield

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Culloden Moor
PERIOD: 20c
DISTRICT: Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS:Inverness and Bona
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
COLLECTION NAME: M E M Donaldson
CREATOR: M E M Donaldson
location map

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows 'The Well of the Dead', a hallowed spring at Culloden Battlefield, Inverness. After the battle on 16th April, 1746, the body of Alexander MacGillivray of Dunmaglass, commander of Clan Chattan regiment, was found, amongst others, at this spot by a local woman. The inscribed stone slab, commemorating the event, was erected by Duncan Forbes of Culloden around 1881.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.



IDENTIFIER: GB1796_859_20_0074

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photographer - Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson



Some other items in this collection...



Looking south west down Loch Aline

Looking south west down Loch Aline

View over Cuil Bay, Duror, Appin

View over Cuil Bay, Duror, Appin

Ruthven Barracks, Kingussie

Ruthven Barracks, Kingussie

Ardtoe, Ardnamurchan

Ardtoe, Ardnamurchan





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village