Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Font, 13th C chapel, Inishail

Font, 13th C chapel, Inishail

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Inishail
PERIOD: 20c
DISTRICT: South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ARGYLL:Glenorchy and Inishail
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
COLLECTION NAME: M E M Donaldson
CREATOR: M E M Donaldson
location map

A font in the ruined chapel on Inishail. Inishail is a small island at the north end of Loch Awe, opposite the village of Ardanaiseig. An early Christian settlement was established on the island in the 10th century. The parish of Inishail was centred on the island until the parish church was moved to Cladich in the 18th century. The island also has a burial ground which contains the graves of many members of the MacArthur clan. The 12th Duke of Argyll was also buried there after his death in April 2001.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.



IDENTIFIER: GB1796_859_20_0670

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photographer - Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson



Some other items in this collection...



Stewart of Appin gravestone, Appin

Stewart of Appin gravestone, Appin

Ben Hiant

Ben Hiant

Loch Poulary, Lochaber

Loch Poulary, Lochaber

St Columba's Cave and Chapel, Knapdale

St Columba's Cave and Chapel, Knapdale





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village