This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the interior of Fortrose Cathedral.
Fortrose Cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved here from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses.
All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house. Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch; Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545; and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507. The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul.
The Cathedral was the scene of the trial of Coinneach Odhar Fiosaiche, the Brahan Seer
This photograph is featured in Then and Now