Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

M.V. Lochmor

M.V. Lochmor

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Kyle of Lochalsh
PERIOD: 1930s
DISTRICT: South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Lochalsh
CONTRIBUTOR: William J Ramsay
COLLECTION NAME: Duncan Macpherson (photographs)
CREATOR: Duncan Macpherson
location map

The 540 tonne Lochmor was built in 1930 and remained in service for almost 35 years. The main route for the Lochmor was the mainland ports Kyle and Mallaig, then to the outer islands of Uist and Harris. During the tourist season the Lochmor included Portree on the mail route, if the regular boat was involved in tourist cruises to Loch Coruisk. The skipper Captain Robertson, known as Squeaky and seen here chatting with a passer by from the bow of his ship, was a well known, popular, local man, with a ready wit and story



IDENTIFIER: PC_RAMSAY_004

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photographer - Duncan Macpherson


Find more information on Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre on our partner page



Some other items in this collection...



Commercial Bank, Kyle of Lochalsh

Commercial Bank, Kyle of Lochalsh

Glenelg

Glenelg

Caisteal Maol, Kyleakin

Caisteal Maol, Kyleakin

Mary Hudson, nèe Macpherson

Mary Hudson, nèe Macpherson





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village