Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

The Well of the Seven Heads, south of Invergarry

The Well of the Seven Heads, south of Invergarry

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Invergarry
DISTRICT: Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS:Kilmonivaig
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
COLLECTION NAME: Joseph Cook
location map

The Well of The Seven Heads can be found 1.8 kilometres south of Invergarry, along the west shore of Loch Oich. Erected by Colonel MacDonnel of Glengarry in 1812, the obelisk which can be seen from the photograph, sits above the well, and commemorates a gruesome past.

In 1663, two sons of the Chief of MacDonnel were murdered during a quarrel with an uncle and his six sons. The murderers' deaths were ordered in vengeance for the crime, and sixty men arrived at the house of the seven, to carry out the execution. Their heads were removed from their bodies and washed in this spring, before being taken to the Chief in Invergarry. Ever since this event, the spring had been known as 'Tobar-nan-ceann', 'The Well of the Heads'.

The Gaelic inscription, seen on the front of the obelisk, tells the story of the well, and on the top of the monument is a sculpture of the seven heads of the murderers


This photograph is featured in Then and Now



IDENTIFIER: GB1796_1999_116_714

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photograph collector - Joseph Cook



Some other items in this collection...



Dunk Glowers

Dunk Glowers

Inverness Castle and the old Ness Bridge

Inverness Castle and the old Ness Bridge

Does anyone recognise this boat in the Beauly Firth?

Does anyone recognise this boat in the Beauly Firth?

Photograph of sketch showing Post Office, 1840, Inverness

Photograph of sketch showing Post Office, 1840, Inverness





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village