Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Loch Broom from Ullapool

Loch Broom from Ullapool

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Loch Broom
DISTRICT: Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Lochbroom
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
COLLECTION NAME: Joseph Cook
location map

Loch Broom has been part of the Cromarty estates since the 17th century and is on the drove road to the Dirrie More. There was an unsuccessful attempt to establish a fisheries station here in 1698. Its shores are a mixture of woodland and rocky promontories and are noted for their many sheltered anchorages. The middle of its northern shore is dominated by Ben More Coigach.

Ullapool, on the north shore of Loch Broom, began as a planned village built by the British Fisheries Society in 1788.

Broom comes from the gaelic 'bhraoin', meaning place of rain showers



IDENTIFIER: GB1796_1999_116_737

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photograph collector - Joseph Cook



Some other items in this collection...



Winston Churchill in Inverness, 1921

Winston Churchill in Inverness, 1921

Ships in the Beauly Firth

Ships in the Beauly Firth

An example of a 'black house' in the rural Highlands

An example of a 'black house' in the rural Highlands

Portree, Isle of Skye

Portree, Isle of Skye





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village