Dr. Alexander Ross (left) at an Inverness Field Club outing.
Born in Brechen, in the reign of William IV, Alexander Ross came to be known as 'The Christopher Wren of the Highlands', because of his outstanding architectural achievements. At an early age, he came to Inverness with his father, who was also an architect. They lived in Church Street, where his father had his business office. Alexander attended Dr. Bell's Institution in Farraline Park. It is believed that he was an apprentice in his father's architectural firm. When he was 19, his father died, and at the age of 20, he became an architect in the family business.
Several years later, he became factor to the MP for Ardross, Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Muirtown Estates. Alexander Ross became responsible for the development of the area between Muirtown and St. Andrew's Cathedral, as well as the building of Union Street.
In 1881 he became a member of the Town Council, and from 1889-1895 he held the position of Provost.
Dr Ross was responsible for the design of various cinemas, schools, churches and houses throughout the Highlands
Dr. Alexander Ross died in 1925, after a life of incredible achievement
This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
Find out more about the photograph collector - Joseph Cook