Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Victorian Market, Inverness - view of clock area

Victorian Market, Inverness - view of clock area

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Inverness
PERIOD: 1990s
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS:Inverness and Bona
CONTRIBUTOR: The Highland Council
COLLECTION NAME: Inverness Area Photos
location map

This view of the Victorian Market shows the central area where the clock is situated. The original indoor market was between Union Street and Queensgate but it was destroyed by fire in 1889 and rebuilt two years later at a cost of £7158. With entrances from Academy Street, Church Street, Union Street and Queensgate, the new market included a spacious central hall and a fish market. There were no permanent stands - each stallholder rented trestle tables from the town council at 6d per day. Nairn fishwives and farmers' wives sold fish, eggs, fowls, piglets and dairy produce. The market hall was also used for flower shows, concerts and meetings. The tables could be pushed to the side to make room for the spectators. Today the market houses a varied selection of shops.

It is thought the clock was made by Alexander Dallas, a clock and watchmaker of Inverness. His shop was located at 36 Church Street, Inverness. One of his sons founded Dallas the Jewellers in Nairn. Another son was Donald Dallas, a well known local actor.



IDENTIFIER: HC_INV_FACILITIES_001


Some other items in this collection...



Cawdor Castle

Cawdor Castle

The Floral Hall, Inverness, under construction

The Floral Hall, Inverness, under construction

Floral Display, Beauly

Floral Display, Beauly

'Throwing the Weight', Inverness Highland Games

'Throwing the Weight', Inverness Highland Games





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village