Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ardross Castle from loch
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0666
PLACENAME
Ardross
DISTRICT
Invergordon
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosskeen
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32586
KEYWORDS
castles
buildings
estates
dwellings
homes
Ardross Castle from loch

Ardross Castle lies 8km (5 miles) north-west of Alness, in the Averon valley. The castle was re-designed by Alexander Ross for Sir Alexander Matheson in 1880-81. Built of Tarradale Red sandstone in the Scottish Baronial style, it added some 30 rooms to the earlier house.

Matheson (1805-86) was born in Attadale, Ross-shire. He became a partner in the firm Jardine Matheson, the firm co-founded by his uncle, James Matheson, which traded in tea and opium, and also owned a merchant bank which had branches in India and China. Having amassed considerable wealth he returned to Scotland in 1839 and purchased the 60,000-acre Ardross Estate for £90,000.

Sir Alexander's son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold the estate in 1898 to C. W. Dyson Perrins (1864-1958). He was a Captain in the Highland Light Infantry and had interests in the Worcester Royal Porcelain Company and Lea & Perrins (Worcester sauce). Perrins continued to modernise the castle, including the introduction of electricity. He also enlarged the estate and built the East Lodge.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ardross Castle from loch

ROSS: Rosskeen

1900s; 1910s

castles; buildings; estates; dwellings; homes

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Ardross Castle lies 8km (5 miles) north-west of Alness, in the Averon valley. The castle was re-designed by Alexander Ross for Sir Alexander Matheson in 1880-81. Built of Tarradale Red sandstone in the Scottish Baronial style, it added some 30 rooms to the earlier house. <br /> <br /> Matheson (1805-86) was born in Attadale, Ross-shire. He became a partner in the firm Jardine Matheson, the firm co-founded by his uncle, James Matheson, which traded in tea and opium, and also owned a merchant bank which had branches in India and China. Having amassed considerable wealth he returned to Scotland in 1839 and purchased the 60,000-acre Ardross Estate for £90,000. <br /> <br /> Sir Alexander's son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold the estate in 1898 to C. W. Dyson Perrins (1864-1958). He was a Captain in the Highland Light Infantry and had interests in the Worcester Royal Porcelain Company and Lea & Perrins (Worcester sauce). Perrins continued to modernise the castle, including the introduction of electricity. He also enlarged the estate and built the East Lodge.<br />