Ùrachadh mu Dheireadh 20/05/2019
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TIOTAL
Curlers, 1954
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_10_34
ÀITE
Inverness
SIORRACHD/PARRAIST
INBHIR NIS: Inbhir Nis 's Am Bànath
LINN
1950s
CREATOR (AV)
J Nairn
NEACH-FIOSRACHAIDH
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
AITHNEACHADH MAOINE
20334
KEYWORDS
curling
Curlers, 1954

The precise origins of curling are unknown though the earliest curling stone, found near Stirling, bears the date 1511. In 1838, the Grand Caledonian Curling Club (later renamed Royal Caledonian Curling Club) was formed with the aim of establishing standardised rules of the game.

The Inverness Curling Club was instituted in 1898 and admitted to the Royal Caledonian Club the following year. Their rinks were at Kingsmills. During the season of 1922-3 only 3 playing days were possible, the fewest ever recorded. In 1946-7 there were 53 playing days, significantly higher than the average of 12 to 18.

Modern curling stones are 30 cm wide and 11 cm high. They are made from a shock-absorbing granite and weigh approximately nine kilograms. The path of the stone on the ice is controlled by players sweeping the ice in front of it. This reduces friction between the ice and the stone, clears any debris from the ice and can also affect the curl of the stone. The object is to get as many stones closer to a pre-determined point on the ice (the button) than your opponent's nearest stone


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

Airson stiùireadh mu bhith a’ cleachdadh ìomhaighean agus susbaint eile, faicibh duilleag ‘Na Cumhaichean air Fad.’
’S e companaidh cuibhrichte fo bharantas clàraichte ann an Alba Àir. SC407011 agus carthannas clàraichte Albannach Àir. SC042593 a th’ ann an High Life na Gàidhealtachd.
Powered by Capture

Curlers, 1954

INBHIR NIS: Inbhir Nis 's Am Bànath

1950s

curling

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The precise origins of curling are unknown though the earliest curling stone, found near Stirling, bears the date 1511. In 1838, the Grand Caledonian Curling Club (later renamed Royal Caledonian Curling Club) was formed with the aim of establishing standardised rules of the game. <br /> <br /> The Inverness Curling Club was instituted in 1898 and admitted to the Royal Caledonian Club the following year. Their rinks were at Kingsmills. During the season of 1922-3 only 3 playing days were possible, the fewest ever recorded. In 1946-7 there were 53 playing days, significantly higher than the average of 12 to 18.<br /> <br /> Modern curling stones are 30 cm wide and 11 cm high. They are made from a shock-absorbing granite and weigh approximately nine kilograms. The path of the stone on the ice is controlled by players sweeping the ice in front of it. This reduces friction between the ice and the stone, clears any debris from the ice and can also affect the curl of the stone. The object is to get as many stones closer to a pre-determined point on the ice (the button) than your opponent's nearest stone <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.