Ùrachadh mu Dheireadh 30/05/2019
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TIOTAL
Academy Street, Inverness, in the snow
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_18_028
ÀITE
Inverness
SIORRACHD/PARRAIST
INBHIR NIS: Inbhir Nis 's Am Bànath
LINN
1950s
CREATOR (AV)
J Nairn
NEACH-FIOSRACHAIDH
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
AITHNEACHADH MAOINE
20539
KEYWORDS
snowfall
snowfalls
academies
schools
monuments
statues
hotels
banks
garages
winter scenes
Academy Street, Inverness, in the snow

Academy Street, Inverness, is seen here in the snow. Formerly known as New Street, Academy Street takes its name from the old Inverness Royal Academy building erected in 1792. It remained in use as a school until 1896, when the Academy moved to Midmills Road.

On the right of the photograph is the Cameron Monument at the entrance to Station Square. The statue, which shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet, commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled in 1893 by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron, and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G Wade of London.

The building on the nearer side of the Cameron Monument is the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style to a design by Matthews and Laurie and completed in 1859. It was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000. On the other side of the monument stands the building of The National Bank of Scotland. A little further down the street, the entrance to Macrae and Dick's garage can be seen.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

Airson stiùireadh mu bhith a’ cleachdadh ìomhaighean agus susbaint eile, faicibh duilleag ‘Na Cumhaichean air Fad.’
’S e companaidh cuibhrichte fo bharantas clàraichte ann an Alba Àir. SC407011 agus carthannas clàraichte Albannach Àir. SC042593 a th’ ann an High Life na Gàidhealtachd.
Powered by Capture

Academy Street, Inverness, in the snow

INBHIR NIS: Inbhir Nis 's Am Bànath

1950s

snowfall; snowfalls; academies; schools; monuments; statues; hotels; banks; garages; winter scenes

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Academy Street, Inverness, is seen here in the snow. Formerly known as New Street, Academy Street takes its name from the old Inverness Royal Academy building erected in 1792. It remained in use as a school until 1896, when the Academy moved to Midmills Road.<br /> <br /> On the right of the photograph is the Cameron Monument at the entrance to Station Square. The statue, which shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet, commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled in 1893 by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron, and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G Wade of London.<br /> <br /> The building on the nearer side of the Cameron Monument is the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style to a design by Matthews and Laurie and completed in 1859. It was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000. On the other side of the monument stands the building of The National Bank of Scotland. A little further down the street, the entrance to Macrae and Dick's garage can be seen. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.